A man was recovering Tuesday after jumping from a second-story balcony to escape a fire that started in the dryer unit at his El Cerrito home, causing about $100,000 in damage, authorities said.
The fire began in an add-on room on the first floor of the house at 5818 Estelle St. on Monday night, San Diego Fire-Rescue officials said. The flames extended to the main house and partially charred the stairs to the second story before being knocked down around 10 p.m.
The man, who was home alone at the time, stood on the balcony while flames engulfed his home and his neighbors coaxed him into jumping to safety, 10 News reported. Three neighbors helped catch the man, who was transported to a hospital with a leg injury, according to fire officials.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: