Updated 12:05 p.m. Monday Sept. 22, 2014

An elderly woman died in a mobile home fire in Oceanside early Monday, possibly due to smoking, a battalion chief said.

The fire at 200 North El Camino Real, Space 336 was reported about 12:45 a.m. and knocked down around 1:10 a.m., according to Oceanside Fire Battalion Chief Joe Ward.

Another resident of the home who made it out told firefighters that the woman, 71, was still inside and firefighters found her in a back bedroom, Ward said in a statement.

“She was extricated from the home and advanced life support measures were immediately given,” Ward said. “Unfortunately, she was pronounced at the scene after exhaustive efforts by firefighters to revive her.”

Preliminary evidence suggested that the blaze was sparked by a cigarette the woman was smoking in bed, according to police.

— City News Service

Chris Jennewein is Editor & Publisher of Times of San Diego.