Kevin C. Bollaert. Photo credit: CBS8.com
“Revenge porn” defendant Kevin C. Bollaert. Photo credit: CBS8.com

A man accused of posting thousands of nude photos of women on a so-called “revenge porn” website, then extorting money from those who wanted the images removed, was ordered Monday to stand trial on 31 felony counts.

Following a five-day preliminary hearing, Judge David Gill ruled that enough evidence was presented for Kevin Christopher Bollaert, 27, to proceed to trial on conspiracy, identity theft and extortion charges involving 14 alleged victims.

The women were identified as “Jane Doe” in court documents. Jane Doe 5 testified that she began getting nasty and racial comments after sexually explicit photos of her were posted on Bollaert’s website.

The woman said she had no idea that her ex-boyfriend had taken the photos when they went on a trip.

She said she emailed the site to take the photos down, but got no response. The pictures were removed a week later.

In addition to the photos, the woman’s name, location and phone number were visible on the website, prompting nasty calls and texts at all hours of the day, she said.

“It was just scary because all these people knew who I was,” the woman testified.

In December 2012, Bollaert created the site, which allows people to create anonymous, public posts of private explicit photographs without their subjects’ permission, according to court documents.

Commonly known as “revenge porn,” such images, generally of nude young women, typically are obtained consensually by the poster during a prior relationship, or are stolen.

Unlike other “revenge porn” sites, on which those depicted in the photos are anonymous, Bollaert’s site required that a poster include the subject’s full name, location, age and a link to a social-networking profile, according to the state Attorney General’s Office.

Under California law, it is illegal to willfully obtain someone’s personal identifying information — including name, age and address for any unlawful purpose, including with the intent to “annoy” or harass.

Between Dec. 2, 2012, and Sept. 17 of last year, Bollaert and unnamed co- conspirators posted 10,170 explicit photos without the subjects’ consent, according to prosecutors.

Bollaert also allegedly created a second site which he used when people contacted the photo site to request that content be removed.

Bollaert allegedly used the new site to extort victims by offering to remove the sexual content for a fee ranging from $300 to $350.

The defendant will be back in court July 16.

– City News Service