A fire broke out as students conducted an experiment in a science building at Cal State San Marcos Friday night, sending one of them to a hospital, a university representative said.

The fire broke out around 7 p.m., according to Cathy Baur of Cal State San Marcos, who said the student was a male who was treated at a hospital and released.

California State University San Marcos. Photo by Chris Stone

The fire was caused by a chemical reaction, and Bauer said the students used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

The building was evacuated and the San Marcos Fire Department responded along with a hazardous materials crew, she said.

The hazardous materials crew cleared the building and turned it back over to the university around 9 p.m., Baur said.

Workers were assessing what would be needed to complete the post-fire clean-up, she said.

There were three people in the room where the fire broke out, but it was unclear how many were in the entire building, Baur said.

The students conducting the experiment were preparing for a science day being held on the campus Saturday, she said, adding that the event was to take place as scheduled.

– City News Service

Show comments

Chris Jennewein

Chris Jennewein is Editor & Publisher of Times of San Diego.