An Orange County man who smashed a beer bottle over a fan’s head following a September Chargers-Cowboys game at Qualcomm Stadium pleaded guilty Tuesday to a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.

Ramon Heredia, 42, faces up to four years in state prison when he is sentenced May 9 by Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Fraser. The defendant pleaded guilty as  his case was to go to trial.

Photo credit: YouTube screenshot of September 2013 confrontation at Qualcomm Stadium.

The victim, Joshua Zumwalt, testified during a preliminary hearing in December that he had just arrived back at his tailgate section after the Sept. 29 game when a group next to his started talking aggressively to his Chargers friends.

Zumwalt said he thought he was sucker-punched from the side, and didn’t know he was hit with a glass bottle until later.

Zumwalt, who was wearing a Dez Bryant Cowboys jersey on game day, said his group had been friendly with the defendant’s group of Cowboys fans before the game.

The victim denied having to be restrained to get at the other group before he was attacked.

“I’m not a fighter. I just wanted my point to be heard,” Zumwalt said.

He said he got really upset when a friend was also hit with a beer bottle.

Zumwalt, who is 6-foot-5, testified that he had about six or eight beers before the game and three or four at the game.

He said he was “feeling pretty good” and a “little more than buzzed” at the end of the game.

But “I don’t think I was out-of-control drunk,” said Zumwalt, who denied telling police that he pushed a woman prior to the melee, which was captured on video by someone using a cell phone.

The footage shows Heredia and an unidentified man striking two men about the head with beer bottles, according to police.

Zumwalt said he did not see a doctor for his head injury, but believed he suffered a concussion. He said he missed a day of work due to the injury.

The second man seen in the video striking a victim on the head was not caught.

 – City News Service

Show comments