From educating San Diegans about the environment to helping service members and their families start a business, six small businesses earned awards Thursday for their outstanding work in the region.
The San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce presented the 2019 Small Business Awards at a ceremony in the Central Library in downtown San Diego.
“Today we recognize six outstanding local businesses that are really making a difference in San Diego,” said Jerry Sanders, president and CEO of the chamber. “The winners and applicants highlight the diversity of the county’s vibrant small business community. Their impact and success is what makes our region a great place to do business.”
The 2019 winners in each category are:
- Making a Difference — Walden Family Services, a foster care and youth services agency, and The Water Conservation Garden, a nonprofit that showcases water conservation
- Customers First — The UPS Store on Park Boulevard, known in its neighborhood for stand-out customer service
- Innovation Leader — Cravory Cookies, a unique bakery with three stores and more than 4,000 flavors.
- Marketing Magic — Knockaround Sunglasses, which partnered with the rock band Weezer to create a limited edition pair of sunglasses
- Thank You For Your Service — The Rosie Network, which helps veterans start and grow a business
Small businesses — those with fewer than 50 employees – employ half of San Diego’s workforce and account for more than 90 percent of businesses in San Diego County.
“The majority of our chamber membership is small businesses and we are committed to providing programs and resources that help them grow and thrive,” said Sanders.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: