The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) bus and Trolley services announced on Wednesday that they’re offering additional services for the Christmas and New Year’s holiday period.
All the boisterous crowds of people celebrating New Years in San Diego should take advantage of the additional public transportation. According to MTS, trolley services will run late into the night from downtown San Diego to safely transport partygoers to their destinations.
MTS also mentioned a special deal offered on Christmas and New Years known as “Friends Ride Free.” With this special holiday promotion, any paying passenger can bring a free guest along. This guest can accompany the passenger on any MTS Trolley or bus route with no charge on these two holidays.
The special holiday schedule for MTS is as follows:
- On Christmas Day, Friday Dec. 25, all Trolley Lines will operate on a half-hour frequency. Sunday services are available on Rapid 201/202, 204, 215 and 235, urban and local bus routes and Express Route 20.
- On Monday, Dec. 28 – Thursday, Dec. 31, the Rapid Express 280 and 290 will not operate as frequently as usual but the other routes will continue their regular weekday schedule.
- On New Year’s Eve, Thursday Dec. 31, all three Trolley lines will be operating with their regular service times, as well as extra trains extending the schedule past midnight. Here’s when the last trains will depart from downtown San Diego:
- Green Line (from 12th & Imperial Transit Center to SDSU): 12:36 a.m., 1:36 a.m. and 2:36 a.m.
- Blue Line (from America Plaza to San Ysidro): 12:28 a.m., 1:28 a.m. and 2:28 a.m.
- Orange Line (from America Plaza to El Cajon): 12:31 a.m., 1:31 a.m. and 2:31 a.m.
- For people taking a late night trip from the Old Town Transit Center to UTC, Route 30 will add two late night trips leaving at 1 and 2 a.m. Route 7 also offers a way to leave downtown San Diego to head for La Mesa via University Avenue at 2:07 a.m.
- On New Year’s Day, Friday Jan. 1: There is access to Trolley lines, rapid 201/202, 204, 215, urban and local bus routes and Express Route 20.
- No service is available on Rapid 237, Rapid Express 280 or 290, Sorrento Valley COASTER Connection or the Vintage Trolley.
Now partygoers can seize New Year’s festivities, armed with plenty of public transportation to keep them from venturing behind the wheel after indulging in festive cocktails and eggnog.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: