Major construction is beginning at Millenia, the 210-acre urban hub at the center of future development of Otay Ranch in South San Diego County.
“Grading is complete and major roads and most infrastructure are in place for the first phase of development,” said Todd Galarneau, executive vice president of Meridian Development, which is managing the project for property owner Stratford Land.
Construction of a gateway shopping center, hotel and condominium neighborhoods is set to start next year. The project will ultimately comprise 3,000 residences, 2 million square feet of office space, 1.5 million square feet of retail, hospitality, civic and mixed-use projects, and six themed urban parks.
Millenia’s first apartment neighborhood, Pulse by Fairfield Residential with 273 luxury units, is nearing completion at Birch Avenue and Eastlake Parkway with the first move-ins scheduled for September.
Among the projects underway are:
- Stylus Park, a 1.9-acre public park just south of Pulse, is under construction with completion slated for this year. The urban-style park, one of six park planned for Millenia, is set to open in 2017 once the landscaping sufficiently matures.
- Meridian Communities, the home building arm of Meridian Development, has started site development on three attached residential condo neighborhoods in Millenia, all designed by the award-winning Woodley Architectural Group.
- San Diego developer Sudberry Properties is set to start construction in mid-2016 on an 11-acre gateway retail center located directly south of Otay Ranch Town Center and adjacent to SR125.
- Trammell Crow Residential is currently seeking entitlements from the City of Chula Vista on a 309-unit apartment/mixed-use development in Millenia.
- The Ayres Hotel chain, known for European-inspired hotels throughout Southern California, is under contract with Millenia with plans to build a four-story, 135-room hotel. Construction is expected to start by mid-2016.
- Shea Homes San Diego is set to start construction on 176 urban-style townhomes and detached single-family residences in the first quarter next year.
- Chelsea Investment Corp. is also scheduled to start construction in the first quarter on a 210-unit, five-story affordable housing neighborhood that includes 87 rental apartments for families and 123 apartments for seniors.
Designed with a proliferation of pedestrian pathways, bicycle lanes, public transportation options, and a 20-foot wide promenade that links all planned parks, Millenia received Circulate San Diego’s “Complete Street’s” Project Award in 2014 and is a LEED-certified community. It has also been designated a Smart Growth Urban Center by the San Diego Association of Governments.