Digital photography and smartphones have forced many traditional camera stores to close, but a San Diego retailer is bucking the trend and opening its second outlet this weekend.
George’s Camera’s new store in Clairemont, its second in San Diego, is one of only three camera stores to have opened in the United States over the past year, according to the company.
The retailer has been in business since 1965 and is now operated by the founder’s son, David Rivera, who has expanded the business through popular classes for professional, amateur and hobbyist photographers.
The new location at 7475 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard will celebrate the opening with free classes and demonstrations by top camera manufacturers. The classes scheduled for Friday and Saturday are:
Friday, Nov. 14
- Configure Your Camera Bag (12:30pm-1pm)
- Achieving True Color (1:30pm-2:30pm)
- Enhancing Your Image (2:30pm-3:30pm)
- Choosing Your Next Lens (3:30pm-4:30pm)
Saturday, Nov. 15
- Nikon Tips and Tricks for Better Digital Pictures (9:30am-11:30am)
- Choosing and using Lenses (12pm-1pm)
- Advanced Flash Class (1pm-2pm)
- Small Flash, Big Portrait (2pm-4pm)