A regional transportation agency has honored six local companies for encouraging their employees to ditch their cars for their bikes to take part in the 2014 Bike-to-Work Corporate Challenge in May.
May was National Bike Month, and according to the San Diego Association of Governments, 59 employers participated, with more than 54,000 employees logging time on their bicycles to commute to work.
- Micro Employer – Chen Ryan Associates (1-25 employees)
- Small Employer – KTU+A (26-100 employees)
- Medium Employer – RECON Environmental, Inc. (101-500 employees)
- Large Employer – Microsoft (501-2,000 employees)
- Macro Employer – Solar Turbines (2,001-5,000 employees)
- Mega Employer – UC San Diego (5,001+ employees)
According to the agency, the 2014 Bike-to-Work Day, broke records for riders, with nearly 8,700 participants. This was despite a hiccup when the event was postponed to May 30 due to the regional wildfires.