Cooler (saner?) weather prevails this weekend, so there will be relief at the various outdoor events as we soak in every last second of this San Diego summer. And do we have some pairs for you. We’ll go two by two by activity and geography, folks. Here you go.
For the sports inclined:
- Super Girl Surf Pro – labeled as the largest female surf contest in the world, the Oceanside Pier competition includes more than 90 of the world’s top pros. Watch for free Friday through Sunday from 8 a.m. until nightfall. And it’s not just about surfing – there’s concerts, e-sports, panels, classes and speakers too.
- It may not be as well known, but the Beach Bocce Ball Tournament heads to its new home, Mariner’s Point near Mission Beach, at 7:45 a.m. Saturday. Titles will be awarded for men’s intermediate and open, women’s and mixed. Here’s the lowdown on bocce ball.
Head out to two Chula Vista fests Saturday:
- Novo Brazil Brewing Company hosts the Last Days of Summer Fiesta from 4 to 10 p.m. at its Eastlake brewery and tasting room on Lane Avenue. Latin band Kimba Light and the youthful Kid Tributes lead the musical lineup. Enjoy food-truck fare and giveaways at the all-ages party.
- Hail 212 years of Mexican independence at the downtown Memorial Park from 5 to 9 p.m. The free event features live entertainment, food and an official El Grito ceremony featuring the Consul General of Mexico to San Diego, Carlos González Gutiérrez.
But there’s double the fun at two North County fests, taking place Saturday and Sunday:
- Stroll the free Oceanside Harbor Days, on the beach side of Oceanside Harbor, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. See arts and crafts and food booths, or watch the costume party, live music and more. There’s also a beer-and-wine garden featuring six local producers.
- The Vista Viking Festival opens at 10 a.m each day at the Norway Hall Cultural Center. There’s entertainment on two stages and competitions too. Flaming ax throwing, anyone? Entry costs $25 for adults, with discounts for children.
But how about going to the dogs, on land and sea, to help a good cause?
- DogFest San Diego at Waterfront Park, starting at 11 a.m. Saturday, includes free activities and live music not just in celebration of our furry friends, but to raise funds to help Canine Companions, which pairs disabled people with service dogs.
- The free Surf Dog Surf-a-Thon puts dogs on surfboards because, why not? Go to Del Mar Dog Beach at 8 a.m. Sunday for all the paw-someness, from surfing, to doggy costume and agility contests. Proceeds benefit the Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe.
And finally here’s a duo this weekend and for the future: Jamul Casino offers a slate of Saturday events this month, including “Drag It Out,” the casino’s first drag show, this weekend at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $25. And next weekend, try “Magic Mike XXL,” a ladies night fashioned after the popular Channing Tatum film.
Updated 12:50 p.m. Sept. 16 to reflect correct location for the Novo Brazil Brewing event.