Exactly one year after being left for dead, the San Diego Opera Thursday presented a free lunchtime concert with the stars from its latest production.
It was March 19, 2014, when the opera’s board of directors announced it would have to close because of financial problems that appeared to be unsolvable.
Over the next couple of months, a reformed board cut ties with longtime general director Ian Campbell and raised enough funds to present its 50th anniversary season.
The opera recently announced its schedule for a 51st season next year and the hiring of David Bennett as its new general director.
“I am feeling exhuberant, excited,” said board President Carol Lazier, who stepped in last year with a $1 million donation to keep the company afloat. “We’re so going the right direction with our new general director and being marketed in the community.”
She said the company balanced its budget last year and just needs to sell a few more tickets to do the same this season.
“The community is so behind us, it’s just absolutely fabulous,” Lazier said.
The concert, in the downtown Civic Center Plaza, featured solo artists from the opera’s current production, “Nixon in China.”
Concerts to celebrate the company’s 50th anniversary concert are scheduled April 18 and 19.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: