By Ken Stone
For the second week in a row, Castle Park High School has canceled its varsity football game on account of too few healthy players.
Bernard Ansolabehere, the head coach and school athletic director, said Friday that “this week we are in the same situation as last week, but the rest of our season is not in jeopardy in any way.”
As a result, Fallbrook’s nonleague game at Chula Vista’s Castle Park will be recorded as a forfeit. Last week, the Trojans forfeited to Coronado High School, saying only 16 players were available to play, with an undisclosed number being injured.Patrick Walker, Fallbrook High School’s athletic director, told Times of San Diego: “Fallbrook will be sticking to the contract; therefore it will be a forfeit.”
Second-year coach Ansolabehere repeated his optimism of last week.
“We will have a viable team to put in the field from here on out,” he said via email, “and look forward to turning this situation into a positive for our players, coaches and Castle Park High School as a whole.”
CIF San Diego Commissioner Jerry Schniepp said he was disappointed by the forfeit and felt for the Castle Park community.
“I have been told that they still hope to fulfill their schedule after this week,” Schniepp said via email. “They anticipate some players returning from injury and/or academic ineligibility.”
Castle Park is part of the Metro Pacific League — along with Montgomery, San Diego Southwest and San Ysidro high schools — all in the Sweetwater Union High School District.
Thanks to the forfeit, the Fallbrook Warriors will see their record improve to 2-2. Castle Park’s record will fall to 1-3.
Updated at 3:54 p.m. Sept. 7, 2018
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: