The city of Encinitas and the Encinitas school district are in competition with the cities of San Diego (for costly Portland Loos) and Escondido for the bottom awards of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association.
They are the Metro finalists for the group’s Golden Fleece Awards, announced Thursday in a posting on the conservative blog SD Rostra.
By contrast, the Golden Watchdog Award finalists — the top honors — include the cities of San Diego (for energy efficient streetlight conversion, Police Department recruiting and retention, and its pure water project) and Chula Vista (asset management program).
The annual program notes the best and worst in local government efficiency, spending and decision-making. Local journalism also is honored — with finalists from KPBS, inewsource, U-T San Diego, Voice of San Diego, NBC San Diego and 10 News.
Winners will be announced at an awards dinner Thursday, May 21, at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.
The government watchdog chose a theme of Totally ’90s to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the dinner, “which has become famous for its hilarious video skits featuring elected officials and familiar political players,” said a news release.
A Visionary Leadership Award will be presented to the County of San Diego for the 12-acre waterfront community park that replaced the surface parking lot at the County Administration Building downtown.
“Among its many smart features, the park incorporates drought-resistant native horticulture, solar-powered lighting, and recirculated water in its interactive fountains,” the group said.
Here are the 2015 finalists:
Golden Watchdog Award Finalists
- City of San Diego – Energy Efficient Street Light Conversion
- City of Chula Vista – Asset Management Program
- City of San Diego – SDPD Recruiting and Retention
- City of San Diego Public Utilities – Pure Water San Diego
- County of San Diego Planning Development Services – Permit Streamlining
- San Diego County Sheriff’s Department – Veterans Moving Forward Program
- County of San Diego – Juvenile Crime Prevention and Diversion
- City of Encinitas & Encinitas Union School District – Pacific View Profiteering
- City of San Diego – Portland Loos
- City of Escondido – Adoption of Citizens’ Property Rights Initiative
- Palomar Community College District – Computer Dumping
- Caltrans – Water Wasters
- San Ysidro School District – Title I Cover-Up
- City of San Diego & RAD LAB – QUARTYARD
- San Diego County Regional Airport Authority & Landmark Aviation – Fixed-Base Operator
- County of San Diego & 2-1-1 San Diego – Disaster Response
- Megan Burks | Voice of San Diego – “Whack-A-Mole City Enforcement Keeps Slumlords In Business”
- David Garrick | UT San Diego – “City Shocked By Cost of Portland Loos”
- Morgan Cook | UT San Diego – “What’s that Caltrans is using water for?”
- Joe Yerardi | inewsource & Katie Schoolov | KPBS – “San Diego County’s system for tracking campaign donations called outdated”
- Gene Cubbison | NBC7 – “Questions Still Surround City Council’s New President”
- Brad Racino | KPBS – “San Diego Attorney Cory Briggs’ Land Deals Raise Ethical, Legal Questions”
- 10News Team – “Sheriff’s deputy kept county car and gas card”
Golden Fleece Award Finalists
Public-Private Partnership Award Finalists
Media Watchdog Award Finalists
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: