Starting Sunday evening, Caltrans crews will close all lanes of northbound and southbound State Route 163 between Interstate 8 and Genesee Avenue for three to six nights to remove bridge falsework on the SR-163 Friars Road overcrossing, weather permitting. At no time will the freeway close all lanes in both directions at the same time. The full freeway southbound closures begin at 11 p.m., while the northbound closures begin at 11:30 p.m. All lanes will reopen at 5 a.m.
- Sunday: All southbound lanes, the northbound far right collector lane and the right main lane (slow lane).
- Monday: No full freeway closure. Only the northbound and southbound right main lanes.
- Tuesday: All southbound lanes, and the northbound left lane (fast lane).
- Wednesday: All northbound lanes, and the southbound left lane.
- Thursday: No full freeway closures. Only the northbound right lane.
- Friday/Saturday: No freeway work scheduled
- Sunday, March 10: All northbound lanes.
During the full freeway closures, all northbound SR-163 motorists will be detoured to eastbound I-8 to northbound I-805 to the merge at northbound SR-163. All southbound motorists will be detoured to southbound I-805 to westbound I-8 to the southbound SR-163 connector ramp.
Residents and businesses in the area will hear jackhammering and truck back-up alarms during this nightwork. Caltrans staff apologizes for this inconvenience in advance.
The $40 million project will widen the SR-163 Friars Road overcrossing as well as improve the SR-163 on- and off-ramps. In addition, a southbound SR-163 auxiliary lane just north of the Friars Road off-ramp will be constructed.
Follow @SDCaltrans on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SDCaltrans and visit Caltrans San Diego on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CaltransDistrict11 for news related to state transportation in San Diego and Imperial counties.