Thousands of bike riders throughout the San Diego region will GO by BIKE on the morning of Bike to Work Day, Friday, May 15, as they attempt to log 25,000 miles – the equivalent of one trip around the world and 1 million calories burned. Bike riders will be greeted by volunteers at a record 103 pit stops, where they will receive a free T-shirt, refreshments, snacks, and encouragement.
All pit stops will be staffed between 6 and 9 a.m. Some open as early as 5:30 a.m., and others will re-open in the afternoon to serve riders returning home from work. Some stops will offer extra incentives such as free bike repairs, bike tune-ups, and breakfast.
Pit stops of interest:
- As part of its pit stop, the Coast Guard Sector at 2710 North Harbor Drive will have a helicopter and boat on display.
- Clairemont Times will partner with Zico Coconut Water and Energy 103.7 FM at the Rose Creek Bike Path and Santa Fe Street.
- UC San Diego is expected to host the largest pit stop at Warren Athletic Field at Gilman and Voigt Drive, with free bike parking and vendor tents.
- The San Diego Zoo will host its always popular pit stop at 2920 Zoo Drive, with animal interactions, costumed characters, and complimentary chair massages.
- A morning pit stop planned by the San Ysidro Smart Border Coalition will be available for bike riders at the San Ysidro Intermodal Transit Center (Trolley Station) near the bike lockers.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: