North Island Credit Union announced Monday that it awarded 10 scholarships, each worth $1,000, to high school seniors across the county who are headed to college.
The organization’s annual College Scholarship Program recognizes students who thrive in the classroom and support their communities through volunteer work or public service.
NICU, a division of California Credit Union, received more than 700 applications.
“After reviewing the outstanding applications we received, there is no doubt that we all have much to learn from this new generation of leaders,” said California Credit Union CEO Steve O’Connell. “We are excited to help them fulfill their college dreams, and wish them the best of luck as they take this next important step in their lives.”
The scholarship winners are:
- Fowsiyo Aden, Crawford High School, San Diego
- Richard Marmito, Crawford High School, San Diego
- Stella Chung, Torrey Pines High School, San Diego
- Teia Shannon, Francis Parker School, San Diego
- Naomi Galvan, Bonita Vista Senior High School, Chula Vista
- Evelyn Johnson, Chula Vista High School, Chula Vista
- Marivel Garcia, Mount Miguel High School, Spring Valley
- Matthew Palguta, Carlsbad High School, Carlsbad
- Joshua Pawlak, San Dieguito High School Academy, Encinitas
- And Tuqa Wafi, El Cajon Valley High School, El Cajon.
Students are required to maintain a high school GPA of 3.0 or above to be eligible for the program. The selected recipients are required to begin attending an accredited college or university within the next year.
The credit union has awarded more than $315,000 to students in San Diego and Los Angeles counties since launching the program in 2005.
— City News Service