A 17-year-old boy suspected of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl was is in custody Friday after surrendering to authorities in San Diego.
The alleged assault occurred on July 26 just before 3 p.m. near the 2900 block of Prospect Street near Sweetwater Road in the unincorporated community of Lincoln Acres, said Lt. Kevin Ralph of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.
The girl suffered minor injuries, detectives said.
Detectives with the Sheriff’s Sexual Assault Unit had previously identified the suspect and had been working with the Fugitive Task Force and the suspect’s family to take him into custody.
The boy surrendered to members of the San Diego Regional Fugitive Task Force at 5 p.m. Thursday after agreeing on a pickup location in the 800 block of Camino de la Reina, Ralph said.
The boy is facing felony charges of kidnapping to commit rape or robbery, assault with intent to commit rape, assault by means likely to cause bodily injury and robbery. He is being housed at the Kearny Mesa Juvenile Detention Facility.