Lakeside Fire Protection
Charred bedding that crews removed from the Lakeside home. Photo credit: OnScene.TV

An ailing woman started a fire in a Lakeside home Sunday because she smoked in bed while using an oxygen mask.

The oxygen ignited at about 8:45 a.m., according to OnScene.TV burning the bed and her clothing.

A neighbor rushed in with a fire extinguisher and attempted to put the fire out, but flames rekindled. Another neighbor went into the smoke-filled house to pull the woman to safety.

Lakeside Fire crews put out the fire, in the 15900 block of Spring Oaks Road.

The only damage was to the bed, blankets and some clothing.

The woman, who suffered some injuries around her mouth, was taken to the UC San Diego Burn Center, then transported to a second hospital.

Show comments