Firefighters investigating a blaze Sunday inside a Pacific Beach apartment said a charging unit for a gaming station was to blame.
The fire at 857 Grand Avenue broke out around 3:30 p.m. inside the upstairs unit, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Battalion Chief Craig Newell.
Neighbors contacted authorities after spotting heavy smoke coming from the building, Newell said.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, but damage to the apartment was estimated at between $75,000 and $100,000, Newell continued.
Investigators believe a faulty electrical charging device for a gaming console caused the blaze, he said.
No one was inside the apartment at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
The apartment is located directly above Surf Monkey Bikes shop, but Newell said the business did not sustain damage.
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: