A fire that broke out in an underground Spring Valley storm drain Friday afternoon is being blamed on a cooking mishap inside a homeless encampment.
The blaze was reported around 3:30 p.m. in the 8900 block of Troy Street.
Firefighters had to climb down into the underground area to extinguish the blaze, and there were safety concerns due to heavy smoke.
Smoke was billowing from the storm drain culvert as well as manholes along Troy Street, so sheriff’s deputies blocked off traffic to the area for safety reasons, said Capt. Jason Floyd of San Miguel Fire & Rescue.
Once inside the culvert, crews “determined that it was an unattended cooking fire, possibly a homeless encampment,” Floyd continued.
It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze and no injuries were reported.
–Staff, wire reports
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: