A two-alarm fire at a metal shop adjacent to Gillespie Field that left two employees injured and caused about $800,000 in damage was caused by a malfunctioning piece of equipment, authorities said Monday.
Smoke was billowing from Precision Metal Products, a single-story warehouse in the 800 block of West Bradley Avenue, when firefighters arrived around noon Sunday, according to Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera.
Authorities quickly called for additional fire crews and two ambulances. Firefighters from multiple agencies had the fire out in about 20 minutes, Saghera said. A Hazmat team was also summoned, but nothing hazardous was found.
Two shop workers were taken to the Regional Burn Center at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest. An update on their conditions was not immediately available.
Saghera said the blaze was caused by “a catastrophic failure of a piece of equipment,” and the fire spread to nearby equipment and combustibles.
—City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: