Updated at 9:55 a.m. July 15, 2015
A small fire that broke out Wednesday morning aboard the USS Midway Museum was likely sparked by construction workers using a welding or cutting torch, fire officials said.
Arriving firefighters found smoke and heat emanating from an area two levels below the flight deck on the ship docked along North Harbor Drive near Broadway shortly after 5:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
The aircraft carrier turned naval aviation museum is considered a high- rise, which automatically garners a second-alarm response, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said. Crews called for more firefighters to stage nearby because they were having difficulty accessing the fire area.
Swanson said the blaze caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.
All personnel were removed from the Midway and no injuries were reported, Swanson said.
Museum personnel announced via Twitter that the busy tourist attraction would open for business at 10 a.m.
— City News Service