A pickup truck caught fire, with flames spreading to a carport and nearby residences in La Mesa, causing one hospitalization and $100,000 in damages a fire official said Sunday.
Firefighters were sent to the 7900 block of La Mesa Boulevard near Culowee Street shortly before 9:30 p.m. Saturday. They spotted a pickup truck in flames and downed electrical wires nearby, Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera said.
Crews from La Mesa and San Diego confirmed none of the homes behind the carport were occupied, but someone else who was in the area was taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, Saghera said.
Saghera said the fire was contained in 12 minutes, and the nearby residences sustained minimal damage. He estimated the blaze caused around $100,000 to the structures and contents.
What sparked the blaze was not immediately known.
—City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: