A documented gang member wounded in an officer-involved shooting after he allegedly accelerated a stolen car toward officers near a Southcrest gas station pleaded not guilty Friday to seven charges, including assault on a peace officer, auto theft, having a concealed weapon in a vehicle and resisting an executive officer.
Sergio Antonio Ceballos Reyes, 18, was ordered held on $500,000 bail. He faces eight years and eight months in prison if convicted.
In setting bail, Judge David Szumowski called Reyes a danger to the community.
Deputy Attorney General Donald Ostertag told the judge that members of the Regional Auto Theft Task Force spotted a stolen blue Honda Accord at the northeast corner of National Avenue and South 35th Street shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday.
As officers approached the stolen car in front of a Southcrest gas station, Reyes allegedly threw the car in reverse, striking one of the task force member’s vehicles, Ostertag said.
The prosecutor said Reyes then stepped on the gas and drove the stolen car forward toward a National City police officer, prompting District Attorney Investigator Shane Lynn to fire his weapon, wounding Reyes in the upper torso.
Ostertag said Reyes crashed into a light pole and fled on foot, throwing a .357-caliber handgun on the roof of a building.
Police said a passenger in the stolen car, 18-year-old Luisa Garcia Reynoso, also was arrested. It wasn’t immediately clear what charges she would face.
Ostertag said Reyes had a juvenile arrest for robbery and was arrested last year for attempted murder in a case where charges were never filed.
The defendant will be back in court March 17 for a readiness conference and March 19 for a preliminary hearing.
— City News Service
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diego’s free daily email newsletter! Click hereFollow Us: