The annual awards recognize business leaders who excel in innovation, financial performance and personal commitment to their businesses and communities. The five San Diego recipients are:
- Life Sciences — Kevin Gorman, CEO, Neurocrine Biosciences
- Technology — Pieter van Rooyen, co-founder, president and CEO, Edico Genome
- Operational Excellence — Helen Torley, CEO, Halozyme Therapeutics
- Real Estate and Hospitality — Mark Gleiberman, founder and CEO, MG Properties Group
- Services — Tim Gleeson, chairman and CEO, Novasyte
In addition, a special award was presented to Rory Moore to recognize his contributions to the San Diego startup community at EvoNexus.
EY has recognized more than 10,000 business leaders around the world since the inception of the program 32 years ago. Among the past recipients are Howard Schultz of Starbucks, John Mackey of Whole Foods, Pierre Omidyar of eBay, and Irwin Jacobs of Qualcomm.
“EY has been recognizing leading entrepreneurs for more than three decades,” said Tim Holl, partner and Entrepreneur Of The Year program director. “We are proud to announce the 2018 winners, who break the mold to create new solutions, innovations and possibilities that redefine how we live, work and play.”
The awards were presented at a gala in Del Mar earlier this month.