The Old Globe is taking William Shakespeare’s classic “Measure for Measure” to the streets in November with 10 free performances throughout San Diego County.
The Globe for All project brings professional Shakespeare to diverse audiences, many experiencing theatre for the first time, with a cast of nine professional actors, a DJ, and four production staff members.
“Measure for Measure” is one of Shakespeare’s richest plays, mixing comedy and drama in a story of love and power. In a decadent Vienna, the strict, newly appointed leader Angelo wants to rid the city of moral decay—until he falls for a young nun pleading for the life of her brother and things get complicated. Justice, lust, hypocrisy, and redemption take center stage along with a wild cast of characters in a bold staging of the classic.
“Globe for All has quickly grown to become one of the core programs of The Old Globe, enriching our community and galvanizing our theatre as it serves our neighbors in a deep and special way,” said Artistic Director Barry Edelstein. “It’s our core conviction that theatre in general, and Shakespeare in particular, are necessary to living a full and rich life, and yet we recognize that some in our city either don’t know about the work we do or cannot enjoy regular access to it.”
The 10 free performances are:
- George L. Stevens Senior Center, 570 S. 65th St., San Diego, on Friday, Nov. 4, at 1:30 p.m.
- Old Globe Technical Center, 5335 Market St., San Diego, on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 1:30 p.m.
- San Diego Public Library-Central Branch, 330 Park Blvd., San Diego, on Sunday, Nov. 6, at 1 p.m.
- Lemon Grove Historical Society, Lemon Grove Academy, Roberto Alvarez Auditorium, 3171 School Ln., Lemon Grove, on Wednesday, Nov. 9, at 6 p.m.
- Chaldean Middle-Eastern Social Services, St. Michael Chaldean Catholic Church, 799 E. Washington Ave., El Cajon, on Thursday, Nov. 10, at 6:30 p.m.
- City Heights/Weingart Branch Library, 3795 Fairmount Ave., San Diego, on Saturday, Nov. 12, at 2 p.m.
- Linda Vista Recreation Center, 7064 Levant St., San Diego, 92111) on Sunday, November 13 at 12:15 p.m.
- Naval Base San Diego, Anchors Catering & Conference Center, Main at Yama St., 2375 Recreation Way, Building 3210, San Diego, 92136) on Wednesday, November 16 at 7 p.m.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 140 E. 12th St., Suite B, National City, on Friday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m.
- Escondido Public Library, 239 S. Kalmia St., Escondido, on Saturday, Nov. 19 at noon