The 40th Broadway/San Diego anniversary is presenting its new season lineup with a blend of Broadway classics and critically acclaimed newcomers fresh out of New York.
“I am thrilled with our 40th Anniversary Season which really does bring a variety of spectacular productions worth celebrating,” said Joe Kobryner, Vice President of Broadway/San Diego. “We have everything from the classics that have thrilled audiences for years, and are now re-imagined as well as some of the biggest titles coming straight from Broadway,” he said.
The 2016-2017 season lineup includes:
- Cabaret (August 23-28, 2016)
- Emcee, Sally Bowles and an energetic ensemble take to the stage of the infamous Kit Kat Klub.
- The Sound of Music (November 15-20, 2016)
- The hills are alive with the beloved story of Maria, directed by its former Old Globe Theatre Artistic Director, Jack O’ Brien.
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch (November 29-December 4, 2016)
- This wickedly funny rock musical tells the story of a singer who marries an American man to escape East Germany. It’s a genre-bending musical sensation, and a winner of our 2014 Tony Awards.
- Matilda the Musical (January 31-February 5, 2017)
- Based on the beloved Roald Dahl novel, Matilda is a girl who dares to take control of her destiny with the sheer, imaginative willpower of her mind. It has also won four Tony Awards.
- Finding Neverland (April 4-9, 2017)
- This play tells the story behind Peter Pan, of his visionary playwright J.M. Barrie, and the important moment when he meets four young boys and their lovely widowed mother. With a little pixie dust, they enter into a world of make-believe adventures that inspire his very own play.
- The BodyGuard (June 13-18, 2017)
- Based on the smash hit film, this romantic musical tells the story of a superstar falling in love with a bodyguard she hires to protect her from an unknown stalker.
- Some added season events this year:
- Disney’s The Lion King, the 20th anniversary of Rent, and a San Diego-born favorite, the Jersey Boys.